The past weeks I had expressed to my Mother that I would love to make a fruit tart. I had never made one before and it sounded particularly delicious at the time. Valentine's Day approached and after an outing with my sister, my parents came home from lunch with some treats. Not expecting much other than candy, I ignored the Williams-Sonoma bag that sat on the counter. A few minutes later my mom brought the bag to me saying "This is for you too!". A smile spread widely across my face because I knew, if it is from Williams-Sonoma it has to be good! There I sat with a perfectly new tart pan in my lap. Only a few moments later did I begin to make the tart that would definitely hit the spot.
Vanilla tart with Nutmeg crust and Berries
- 7 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
2. Evenly press dough on bottom and sides of a 9-to 9 1/2 inch square or round tart pan in a thin layer. (This takes patience, as there is just enough dough.) Refrigerate 30 minutes to firm the dough.
3.Place pan on baking sheet. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until crust is a deep golden brown, checking after 15 minutes. If dough has puffed from bottom of pan, prick a few times and gently press down with back of a fork. Cool pan on wire rack.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp plus 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Any berries of your choice
After cooling, place berries on top and enjoy.
Recipe Adapted from: Better Homes and Gardens